Monday, June 14, 2010

one great love

Do you ever sometimes feel like things are over before they even begin?

In many ways he was my complete opposite.
He was athletic; I was bookish.
He learned to fly a plane; I’m afraid of heights.
He was a people-person; I preferred my small group of friends.


Yet in other ways, he was everything I didn’t even know I was looking for in a man.
He was ruggedly good-looking, with eyes that danced when he laughed. We shared the same tastes in food and music and generally had similar interests. He was warm and generous, intelligent and witty. (We were once talking about our favorite books and I was pleasantly surprised at his insights on Pride and Prejudice).

We used to spend hours sitting on the front porch just talking. When he held my hand for the first time, every molecule in me awoke.

I was in love with him.

Yet before anything could ever happen between us, I ended it. You see dear readers, there was one key thing that we didn’t share – our faith. My One Great Love, wasn’t his. I realized that everything between us would be meaningless if we didn’t hold fast to the same foundation. So as much as it pained me to, I walked away without ever telling him how I really felt about him. (That act was equivalent to tearing my heart out, throwing it on the ground, and stomping on it. By a sumo wrestler.)

That was many years ago; I’ve had relationships since then. (Okay just one serious one, if you want to be technical. But that’s another blog post).

I’m not in love with him anymore. I think about him now and then, saying a silent prayer.

But the aching stopped (ok I did feel a miniscule, almost negligible little pang in my heart when I found out he had a girlfriend). God has been faithful in healing and restoring my heart, and I know He will be faithful in bringing me my right love at the right time.

“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.” – 2 Cor 6:14 (NIV)
xoxo,

bella

No comments:

Post a Comment